Arroz con Pollo
(Rice with Chicken - obvs).
This is a hearty, traditional Costa Rican meal that I learnt to make from a friend when we were living on the Nicoya Peninsula. The little town we lived in was called Nosara. We rented a house, bought a motor bike and went surfing before and after work.
One of my favourite things to order in the local restaurants was Arroz Con Pollo.
What you'll need:
- a few chicken breasts/thighs/drumsticks or whatever chicken you can get your hands on
- bell peppers x 2
- carrots x 2 ish
- a big bunch of cilantro/coriander
- peas x 2 cups
- Salsa Lizano 1/3 bottle probably
- rice - enough for 2-4 people
- garlic - a whole bulb is good
- salt, pepper
- Hachiote to add colour
Seven Steps to Heaven:
- Boil the chicken in a pot of salted garlic water 'til it's 3/4 cooked.
- Pull the chicken out of the pot and leave to cool slightly. Save the water, you'll need it later.
- Fry the veggies in a frying pan
- Use the chicken-y water to boil your rice
- Shred the chicken into thin strips
- Once veg is cooked, rice is cooked and chicken is in a shredded heap mix it all together. Add your seasonings and Salsa Lizano.
- Sprinkle with some fresh cilantro and enjoy with an ice-cold beer.